Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Day One, in more ways than One



It's a new season, and the Mariners won the Opener (again). It's a new Opening Day, and Felix won against the A's (again). This is a fresh start, A New Hope for the M's (thank you Star Wars).

Today is a new day too because it is my first day writing a blog, my first time on Way Out in Left Field, and my first time trying really hard to be funny. I am not funny, but I'll do my best not being cringe-worthy. And as I continue to write I will try to get more meat and potatoes in my fluffy blogging.

My name is Charlie, and I was high school sweethearts with Patrick and Anthony, your favorite (and only other) Way Out in Left Field bloggers. Though time and distafacebook.comnce has separated us, our bonds are as pure as a King Felix changeup. Nasty.

But let's not get sentimental.

Much like the Mariners, I am feeling good right now. The first W is in the book. An air of confidence in and around baseball for every team that won their first game. (Note: We are tied with the Astros, THE ASTROS!!!! for first place in the AL West. That's baseball for you).

Going to school in Boston requires serious dedication to the Mariners. Last nights game didn't start till 10:07, so of course I watched it in bed on my tiny laptop on MLB.tv. I also decided not to do homework, in honor of this new baseball season (it's amazing the things we can use to procrastinate). But enough about me... let's first talk about all this FACIAL HAIR:

Seriously though. Who stole all the razors from the clubhouse? Everybody looks glorious. Morse has a tidy 10:07 shadow. Wedge looks like a Confederate colonel in the Civil War. Ackley is, well, Ackley (he can do NO WRONG in my book; no wrong; like honestly).

Felix looked like the Felix of last July and August. Even though he got a little messy late, he dominated the A's lineup and reminded us why we love him and why he is the King and why he will make more money this year than I'll probably make in my entire life. He was pitching masterfully, and those balls and strikes were being thrown to a very collected and competent, a competent, a screw it a collected and competent backstop Jesus Montero. He looked like he knew what he was doing. He looked alert, except for that foul tip that took his chin off and had him falling backwards in slo-mo. He was blocking those Felix pitches that get driven into the dirt with more movement than a kid who lost his ADD pills. I don't want to get greedy with such a small sample size, but my faith has increased marginally in Montero.

Oh, and he also had one of the most peculiar groundouts I've ever seen. He can run! He can run? No, he can't, but he sure is trying harder this year to not look like an old man walking on hot asphalt.

Smoak looked... oh you know how he looked and I really don't want to say it out loud or on the internet because I don't want to jinx anything. I hope he has a year this year that is consistent. I've really been pulling for him and this really is his last chance. Hope he can figure it out.

Morse and Morales were whiffing, and so was Saunders, but that really wasn't unexpected. We can only hope that they can hammer the ball deep every so often to help out the rest of our starting rotation.

Brendan Ryan is batting 1.000. Over the Mendoza line! For now. And how about that beautiful pirouette put-out of Cespedes last night?

All in all last night's game was fun to watch. It would've been more fun with more offensive fireworks, but I think I would enjoy watching Felix watch paint dry.

Tonight the M's are throwing Iwakuma versus Parker, and it should be a game we should watch because it's Mariners baseball and we will always love Mariners baseball no matter how much it hurts. And at least until tonight it won't hurt much at all. Thanks for the good start boys, let's keep it going.


P.S.: thank you readers for your patience with me. I hope to write a lot for you this season and any suggestions you have I would love to hear (and will surely take with a grain of salt). The truetotheblue juices are flowing, and I am excited to write for you and haphazardly reveal my biased thoughts on Mariners baseball. Follow me on Twitter @C14SpencerD if you have a heart, or a heart for the Mariners, or the desire to make my day 'cause I only have 13 followers (I got a Twitter about a week ago).

Go M's and Long Live the King!


No comments:

Post a Comment